Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Don’t Wait Until It’s Too Late For Your Estate

I was reading the article Estate Planning Before Tragedy Strikes (http://ift.tt/2wNvmzy) and found this quote to be of particular importance to families and their children. (bold added)

Before looking into the law, like many young parents, I assumed that my wishes for my 4-year-old would be carried out by my family in the event anything happened to me and my husband. Without a legal document, however, my wishes mean nothing. Were we to die without a will, the court would decide which family member would care for my daughter based on her “best interests.” How would the court know what these interests are? What if my family and my husband’s family disagree on where she should be?

Similarly, any assets we had would be handled by the state. Poor estate planning on superstar Prince’s part recently illustrated how dying “intestate,” or without a will, can affect your family for years to come.

The post Don’t Wait Until It’s Too Late For Your Estate appeared first on .



from http://ift.tt/2vB4eoM


from DeWitt Law Firm, PLLC

No comments:

Post a Comment